Re: NT OS Loader + Linux = how?

Frank Carreiro wrote:

> First I installed NT and made sure everything was working properly.  It
> was installed on a 2 gig FAT16 partition.  Next I installed in another 4
> or 5 Gig partition Linux (make sure your under 1024 cylinders.  You may
> need to shrink this partition to accomodate that requirement).  Linux
> (as with most OS's) in my experience has had problems if the boot
> partition goes above 1024 cylinders.  On my 20 gig hard drive I created
> another partition for swap and finally one more for my other needs
> (data, applications, whatever).

Well, interesting is that I have one fully functional Linux (and LILO)
on an IDE system where I have two large NTFS partitions (cca 3 gigs
each), and AFTER them I have /dev/hda3 as native and /dev/hda4 as swap
partitions. I can't recall if the instalation process of Linux was
complaining regarding that 1024 cyl problem, but I made it working.

> When I came to the part (during the linux installation) which asked
> where to put lilo, I told it to install under the Linux partition.  Make
> a note of which device this is (example:  /dev/hda2).  Do NOT install in
> the MBR or you will blow up your installation (linux will work but NT
> will not).  Also make note of which partition you installed NT on.  Make
> sure you created a boot disk during your linux  installation.  This will
> be needed when you are finished installing.

One more note. On my IDE system, I have made that you wrote NOT to do: I
have put LILO in the MBR and, of course, it disabled NT's loader. (But,
after that, I made an NT entry within LILO and both Linux and NT boot
again without problems).

> After you reboot, boot off the Linux boot disk you created during
> installation.  From a terminal type as root:
>
>  dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/bootsect.lnx count=1 bs=512

I know that procedure, if I remember properly, that is covered by an
NT-lilo-howto. It is ok, but I made it my way :-) on an ide disk. Beside
that, I can't make Linux to boot even if it is alone on a scsi disk
system. FYI, I tried to make the procedure you wrote and I only got NT
working (as if NT is alone there). For Linux entry, I got an error
message that there is no system disk for Linux or sth like that. If I
use LILO instead of NT's loader, system hangs after "LI".

> >From NT open up explorer and find boot.ini (it's a hidden file on the
> root of your C: drive). Remove the read only attibute and click ok.
> Next open in notepad boot.ini and add the following line:
>
> C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux Operating System"
>
> Save boot.ini and add the read only attibute again.  Reboot.  When NT
> comes up you will see a new option called "Linux Operating System".  You
> can of course call this whatever you want (RedHat OS or whatever).
> Select this.  You will startup in lilo.  Hit enter once again and your
> in!!

Beside that, I found on the Internet a little utility called BOOTPART or
sth like that, that do this procedure automatically. It gave me a
"Linux" entry under NT's loader but when I tried this entry I got 'no
system disk' or similar error. Looks to me that is something wrong with
scsi disks, but NT runs ok on those disks.

> Final note.  NT boot partition cannot be NTFS. Period.  Linux will be
> unable to boot properly if you convert to NTFS.  If after all the above
> you want more NT partitions (and have the space), you can use disk
> manager for NT and make them NTFS.

This is new for me. On an IDE system I also have NTFS partitions
pre-made during the instalation and, after that, linux partitions on the
same disk and it is ok. On an SCSI it is NOT ok. If Linux is even alone
on the 1st scsi disk /dev/sda it also hangs after "LI". Seems to me that
I need some samples of /etc/lilo.conf (or any other config file needed)
to compare with my setup. The problem is a 4 scsi disk system that runs
NT without problems. It also accepts Linux instalation and (sometimes)
the initial first run ok (before the first re-boot). But, I can not
start installed Linux again, either as alone OS or in a connection with
an NT on the same system.

I wonder also, if it is possible to make bootable floppies on another
(working) Linux and to dedicate them to this problematic system (if so,
how to do this), in order to avoid repetitive re-instalations of Linux
that are not successive at the end? At the moment, I have two Linuxes
installed (Caldera on /dev/sdc1 and RH on /dev/sdd1) that I can not
boot. I also have running RH on /dev/hda3 on another system and wonder
if I can use it to solve the problem with the first system?

Misko