patched kernel

What are the requirements of configuration (kernel .conf file) for
compiling a kernel that I could put on a RedHat installation boot floppy
(instead of the stock kernel)?

I know precisely how to make a kernel, but I'd like to do fresh RedHat
install on a ReiserFS, so I'll need to copy patched kernel to RedHat's
installation floppy.

I'm unsure what must be enabled in a "RedHat installation kernel".

I guess I should build a monolithic kernel and change root device with
rdev to /dev/fd0. Is that all?

--
Milos Prudek