RE: stuff

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Rizwan Mohammad wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2000, Kevin_Saenz dell com wrote:
> > > How can I telnet and login as root?  It says it is an incorrect
> > > login.
> > >

> > no you can't telnet as root. you will have to install ssh
> > to beable to telnet as root.
>
> You can loign by telnet as root if u rename or delete the /etc/securetty file.
> If /etc/securetty file exists then u can login only from the tty's listed in
> this file.

But it is a *very* bad idea to allow root to either telnet in or ftp
in...It really isn't worth the tremendous security risk, which is why root
can't telnet in or ftp in by default...
If you must allow root to telnet in please consider getting ssh from
ssh.com

Grendel

Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)