Iomega Zip installation (post-RTFM)

Hello,

I upgraded from RH 5.something to 6.1 and I am now unable to load the
module for my 100MB parallel-port Zip drive, where ``insmod ppa'' had
worked before.  After searching this list's archives I did some more
troubleshooting, and it seems that ``modprobe ppa'' complains about
the device being busy when there are no other modules loaded.  I have
no printer -- no other external perpherals at all, in fact.  Could this be
some kind of hardware snafu?

The output of the relevant checks performed immediately after reboot
<cough> follows.

Thanks,

Andrew Eichmann

[root werich gibby]# cat /proc/modules
[root werich gibby]# /sbin/modprobe ppa
/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
parport: Device or resource busy
[root werich gibby]# cat /proc/modules
parport_probe           2980   0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport                 7124   0 [parport_probe]
[root werich gibby]# cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty