size of a root floppy

Thank you for reading my "help mail"!!
I'm trying to build up a two-set of rescue diskettes (a boot and
a root floppy). To build the root floppy I have created a filesystem
that contains the basic directories /dev /bin /sbin /etc /lib /proc
/usr /mnt with all the needed files and subdirectories. The only /lib
directory takes 4547 Kbytes while the others altogether take less than
2000 Kbytes. So, the problem is that the filesystem take about 6500 Kbytes
and is too large to fit only one floppy, infact the "gzipped" file
takes about 2032 Kbytes while the floppy can contain only 1440 Kbytes.
I think the problem is not in the /bin and /sbin directories because
I have not insert too much commands in them and anyway eliminating
some other command you'll gain a very little space. The problem is the
/lib directory. In particular, the file libc-2.1.2.so takes more than
4000 kbytes (I have Linux RedHat 6.1, kernel 2.2.12-20) and I think
is not possible to eliminate it because almost
all the basic commands use this file. How can I reduce the size of
/lib directory in order to fit the root filesystem in a floppy?

  Enrico Campanelli

Any help will be very appreciated!