Re: Difference

> Hi,
>
>      I would like to know the different between building apache+SSL from
> sources and building apache+SSL using apache-mod
> ssl-1.3.12.2.6.4-0.6.0.i686.rpm ??? Both works, and rpm is easier.
> Also, there is a php4.rpm which works with apache+SSL.  My question is
> that should I use rpm to build mysql, apache+SSL and php4. or use the
> sources code??

Generally the answer is that you take the binary-rpm for a "stock"
build and you compile from source to custmize for things that are
not in the stock. The example would be the kernel. The kernel is
"stock-generic" with many things people want and many things they
dont. If the stock works use it, dont kill yourself re-compiling
everything. Only when you have special needs do a compile.
My personal example is Apache/FrontPage. I can get Apache to use
FP without mod_FrontPage on a stock Apache, I can run a stock
Apache/mod_Frontpage rpm but it will be outdated from contrib or
I can bite the bullet and compile the latest apache with the latest
mod_FrontPage.

HTH

Henri

"Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy." Adam Carrola