Windows98 and linux on one large disk

When installing a dual boot system on a large disk (20Gb), (how) can one
sandwich linux between DOS partitions?  That is ...

1. Windows98 is installed first in the "under the 1024 cylinder limit", say
the first 450Mb, (I used the DOS fdisk to partition),
2. linux is installed in partitions in the next 10Gb, (I used  druid to make
the linux partitions),
3. and then it is desired to have another partition to be accessible by
Windows (fat32) for general workspace.

I've installed Windows98 within the first 450Mb.  Then I installed linux,
using the next 10Gb.  I used 8 partitions here.  The dual boot with LILO
works.  If I use DOS fdisk, it indicates that the extended partion is full,
consuming 19+Gb.