Re: NT OS Loader + Linux = how?

Frank Carreiro wrote:

> Interesting... What version of Linux are you running?  I recall reading
> all the howto's and tried making it part of my MBR and using LILO to
> boot up NT.  It was a disaster :D  Nothing worked (cept for the linux
> piece).

It is RH 6.1 that I made it before starting with LILO from the MBR,
having two entries: linux and nt. If type linux - it goes to boot RH, if
type nt it goes to usual NT boot loader. I have also read (and tried)
NT-linux HOWTO's but it was not worked here. Btw, it was much easier to
make it working on an IDE disk with several partitions, than on several
SCSI disks without much (if any) partitions.

> Can you provide details on this?  I"m no longer running NT cept at
> work.  Just got the the point where I wasn't interested in dealing with
> Micro$oft anymore...

Well, my goal was to choose between NT and Linux. Manuals have advised
to install NT's boot loader into the MBR and install LILO *NOT* into
MBR, but into the partition where /root partition of your Linux is
located. I knew, I've done it opposite way a year ago: LILO into MBR,
that is not going to remove NT's loader at all, but to place LILO
somewhat 'before' NT's loader.

> Reading through the lilo documentation I came across a mention of 1024
> cylynders being an issue for some systems.  Something to remember when
> using lilo.

Who knows... My IDE disk is 8.4 GB and there I have 2 large NTFS
partitions for NT (cca 3 GB each, as C: and D: disks). *After* those
two, I made Linux Native and Linux Swapp partitions (for sure, much
after 1024 cyl - but, it works!). Btw, on SCSI disks I alway tried to
put things on the beggining, to avoid after-1024-cyl problems. It always
tend to stop after "LI" of LILO.

> I've had issues with it in the past.  I'm surprised to hear it works at
> all.  I've had NT freak out during boot when I did it this way.  Course
> that was like a year ago when I was learning how to make it happen :-)
> I'm sure some things have changed since then.

Well, after I made it running on an IDE drive, I considered there was no
reason not to run on SCSI drives. But, it seems that there *are* some
difficulties and maybe some 'influences' if one tries to install more
than one OS of server-type into the same box, regardless of which one is
installed 'first' :-)

> Nice thing about UNIX / LINUX, there are many ways to do the same
> thing.  I've come across that "LI" problem before.  Under the Lilo howto
> they have all the error's explained.  Helped alot in getting through
> it.  Lilo is a pretty nifty boot manager with many option

Yep. I even started to look for some third-party boot managers, after I
couldn't make it working with lilo and NT's loader only. But, maybe, any
other add-on instrument is not the best way to replace built-in boot
loaders.

> I've heard of it.  I do it manually as it's not too tough to do plus you
> never know how the utility will work out.

Well, BOOTPART made it ok here, but there I got other obstacles to make
things running.

> How big is your partition on that scsi drive?  You might want to
> consider putting it on a 3 or 4 gig partition at the begining of the
> drive (if alone on the 1st disk).  I usually do that then create another
> partition for my data/apps.  See if that helps.  It almost sounds like
> you may have run into that lilo limitation (with hard drives that have
> more than 1024 cylynders).  Fdisk will warn you if you are in that
> situation.  Just run it and see what it says.  You can boot from your
> linux boot disk created during installation then run fdisk to check.

Ok. Well, my scsi disks are a bit old and small for today's standards (2
GB each) but I always forced things to be installed in the beginning and
to avoid 1024 problem. Unfortunatelly, I did not managed to make either
install nor boot floppies, because I am used to work with bootable CD's
(so I usually don't need floppies at the installation). Btw, Gnome
workstation of RH 6.1 did not asked me if I wanted to make boot floppy
diskette. As I remember, 'custom' installation did.

> Check out my web site.  I found a great minix boot disk which I use to
> mount linux partitions.  The commands and feel is alot like linux.  Here
> is the link ...
>
> http://www.xmission.com/~dmacleod/unix/linux/contents.html
>
> Near the bottom of that page is my minix rescue disk with over 100
> tools/applications.  Hope it helps.  BTW, it's not mine but I found it
> while looking through the Internet.  Some guy name Tom built it and did
> I fine job I might add.

Is minix diskette compatible with linux? I heard that even various
kernels differ on the floppy and on the hard disk, might make troubles?

regards,

Misko