From: Ramana Tadepalli [mailto:ramana wilnetonline net]
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 1:14 PM
To: Riddle, Eddie R.
Subject: Re: Windows98 and linux on one large disk

What you did:
> I've installed Windows98 within the first 450Mb.  Then I installed linux,
> using the next 10Gb.  I used 8 partitions here.  The dual boot with LILO
> works.  If I use DOS fdisk, it indicates that the extended partion is full,
> consuming 19+Gb.

Your mistake ...
Fdisk will mostly read partitions other than fat(32) improperly.
You must Complete all windows installations and then let disk druid grab a part of it, for linux

try this:
1. Make a partition table using windows fdisk. Split up the disk into  atleast 3 parts.
section1 => your windows primary partition (C:), and keep the size to just as much as necessary.
section2=> rest of the disk as an extended partition.
    segment the extended partition into 2 parts. One for all of linux. This must         appear initially as drive D:
    the second part is rest of windows, and must be the last partition made.(E:)
2.format drives C: and E: for windows using format.com for win.
3.Load windows onto the system using a normal method.
4.The win system is now ready and working. It will not read drive D: since it is not formatted.  Here the Windows98 installation offers two options: format the unformated drives or exit installation (Riddle), so you format.
5. Now boot using a lilo boot disk or the RH Cdrom if it bootable.& run disk druid.
disk druid will now read all partitions and something like this must be seen:
    hda1 => win32bit (is your c:)
    hda2=>  this is where all your linux partitions are going to be made.
    hda3=>   win32bit(is your e:). Once you make your lin partitions windows         will see this as D:
6. Make as many ext2 partitions as needed inside what is now hda2. This will cause hda3 to be renamed accordingly. If there is a problem with LILO , try reducing the size of the first windows partition

I hope this helps...
Ramana