Newbie cant get Linux 6 to recognize Etherlink III

Hey all:

(Hope this is the correct list to post to.  Sorry if it isnt)

First time on here.  I installed Linux 6.1 on an i686 with 64 Mb, after freeing
it from its NT 4.0 chains.  This machine has a Etherlink III card in it (which
worked fine under NT).  During a LILO boot it mentions that initializing eth0
fails.  I am assuming that since it failed, ifconfig eth0 up, wont work.

Im not a hardware person, so I dont know much.  But what can anyone tell me
about this?  I'll be happy to supply more information if need be.

Thanks.
Birl