ASUS K7-V Athlon sound

Hello list;
          I have installed RH6.2 on a ASUS K7-V Athlon motherboard. This has
on-board sound. It uses the VIA 82C686 (Apollo Super AC97) sound chip. This is
a dual-boot system W98SE/RH6.2. Everything works under W98.
   I get 'Failed' when the system tries to 'insmod 82Cxxx'. I recompiled the
kernel and was not allowed to make this non-modular.

   I chose PIII as the cpu, and turned on all the boxes for it. The kernel
works but no sound.
  Is there an 'Athlon' kernel? if not how should I configure it?

  From W98 the IRQ is 10 and is shared with the Creative DXR2 DVD decoder, and
the Yamaha SXG driver.

            Mick M.

=====
Mick Mearns - Puyallup, Washington, U.S.A