RE: Fat is supported in linux, right?

On 28-May-2000 Todd Eddy opined:
> I tried searching the archives and couldn't find it.  I wanted to know
> how much does linux support FAT(16)?  I know it doesn't support FAT32,
> only FAT16.  I have about 30 gigs of HD space that is formatted to the
> FAT filesystem (4gig per partition)  I want to dump windows and just run
> from linux.  I know I should convert it to linux's filesystem
> eventually, but for right now will it work with FAT16?

It supports both:

        mount -t msdos /dev/<partition> /<mountpoint>

will do both m$do$ and fat16.

        mount -t vfat /dev/<partition> /<mountpoint>

will cover both fat16 and fat32 and likely will handle do$ as well.

Both of these apply if:

1. The approriate filesystems have been compiled into the kernel.

                        OR

2. There are modules in /lib/modules/<kernel>/fs labelled fat.o and vfat.o
respectively.

--
Excuse my english. I went to US public school.