Re: General Linux Questions

NJ Orange wrote:

> I definitely checked and the bios can not be upgraded without a chip change.
> Well that is what I assume when the site I checked said no update available
> please contact them for more information.

Generally, many generic mother board manufactures dont offer flash bios
upgrades past three years, I was told my generic award p133 was old so
your p90 must be antique. :) And yes the only way to fix it is thru a
chip-change upgrade (roughly $64).

> the time is correct it is just the date that is messed up. I think I will
> set the date to 1996 and re-intall. I don't mind a wrong year for now but
> unfortunately I can not set the date before 1996 so the day of the week will
> be off as well.

That could be a.) still a possible battery problem or b.) a corrupt BIOS.
If you plan on networking you could get around this by running xntpd/timed and
getting the time/date off of another machine or NIST

> I waitted over 30 minutes and the screen never came back. I will se what
> happens when I re-install. I have a spare video card so I may try and use
> that one instead.

If it's any consolation I have gotten sound to work in cli not X, not all my
IRQ's are mapped , X Windows works with my Trident 3DImage 9750
but zgv (a console viewer) now spews garbage now,in color. The maintainers
mail site is down so I cant contact him either.

Oh, yeah and my external cache is corrupt and periodically core dumps
any X-session with a keyboard lockup. But the ! #$$%$ will run Win95
like a champ (dual boot).

> I think I should be able to get used to working in the command line
> interface since I am comfortable using unix from a command propmt. From what
> I have seen so far they are quite similar.

Absolutely, Linux made my cross-training easier when I started using Unix at
work

Regards,
Henri.