Re: How do I enable UDMA automatically

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Joe Cooper wrote:

> Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > The kernel doesn't seem to use DMA, although i did indeed compile my
> > kernel with enable DMA access for the HDD set to on, it doesn't use it by
> > default...as seen with the hdparm program...
> > /sbin/hdparm /dev/hda
> >
> > /dev/hda:
> >  multcount    =  0 (off)
> >  I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
> >  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
> >  using_dma    =  0 (off)
> >  keepsettings =  0 (off)
> >  nowerr       =  0 (off)
> >  readonly     =  0 (off)
> >  readahead    =  8 (on)
> >  geometry     = 1582/255/63, sectors = 25429824, start = 0
<snip>
> > So what I want to ask is how to enable dma by default, should I put the
> > command in the inittab...???
>
> Nope.  /etc/rc.d/rc.local is what you want.  Put it as the last command.

Thanks a lot Joe, for your help...I did it and everything is ok...

> Another option is to recompile your kernel and choose "Use DMA by
> Default", or something like that, when configuring.

The strange thins is that I already compiled my kernel (2.2.15) with that
option set...in fact at the boot up the kernel lists the drives DMA info
etc..But as the hdparm command shows it doesn't use it for some reason
unless i manually set it using the "hdparm  -d1 /dev/hda" command....

Thanks,
Grendel

Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)