Re: help ! partition problems

Pierre TILQUIN wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install Redhat6.2 on a Dell Optiplex GX1 turning already with
> Windows NT4. Unfortunately, the installation failed !. Only WinNT is
> re-booting. No LILO appears, and booting with the boot diskette gives me
> the following error message : error 0x10.
> I wonder if I have made a mistake in the partitionning of my 13Go hard drive.
> My partition table is (using fdisk):
>
> /tmp/hda1       1       261     ...     6       FAT16
> /tmp/hda2        *      262     1018    ...     7       HPFS/NTFS
> /tmp/hda3       1019    1230    ...     83      Linux
> /tmp/hda4       1231    1662    ...     5       Extended
> /tmp/hda5       1231    1270    ...     82      Linux Swap
> /tmp/hds6               1271    1662    ...     7       HPFS/NTFS
>
> My questions are the following :
>
> 1) Does the all linux /root partition must be completely below cylinder 1024 ?

YES.  At least the kernel image itself must be.  Thus, you can make
/boot it own partition, and then you only need fit in a few megs.
Looking at your setup, this is likely the problem.

> 2) What type of "extended" partition do I have to choose if I want to have
> both linux and HPFS/NTFS partitions in it ?

There is only one kind of extended partition--"extended".
The individual logical partitions are typed the same as for primaries.
You may want to note that even /boot may be a logical.

> 3) Does WinNT imply specific actions during installation ?

What do you mean by this?

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc grainsystems com