Re: Telnet

> > 3.) Try telnet localhost at the console, what happens? <<<telnet localhost works>>>

O.K. thats a good sign, now check hosts.allow/deny
Allow should have ALL : ALL deny should be empty

Running anything extra like portsentry?
Did you use Linuxconf for anything such as security setups?

> > 4.) Where were you telneting from? <<<I'm telnetting from my other wkstns. on the on a pvt class c net>>>

Can you telnet to it? Ignore this if non-*nix

When you telnet to the machine what do you see?
also check /var/log/secure for connection denied etc.

> > 8.) Do you have any cats or dogs? Look for knocked loose/chewed
> >     network cables. <<<Cabled are fine, I can ping the machine fine>>>

can you ftp to the machine?
telnet machine 25 sendmail quit exits
telnet machine 80 http enter enter exits
nslookup/dig ? port 53

This will establish that nothing but telnet is broke

> > -- A friend did say to check "etc/services" but if it worked once I can't see how that file can change. I'm not in front of the machine right now but I did check for the info above earlier. "Thanks for reminding me that I don't have to reboot the whole box, bad habits die hard :)

/etc/services has no bearing. inetd.conf and your rc init scripts are
where the action is.

If all else fails re-install inetd and telnet rpms's but that is last
and far away.

As for that rebooting stuff, bad human,bad.

Henri