using pre-install in conf.modules (redhat 6.2)

I am trying to setup the drivers for my CD-RW (smart & friendly). So that
whenever I mount the drive, the associated drivers are loaded in
order. The drive was installed as /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdd. I changed that
so it is now /dev/cdrw -> /dev/scd0. Now in the conf.modules I have:

options ide-cd ignore=hdd	# Is this useless now that I have hdd as
				# scd0?

alias scd0 sr_mod

pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd
pre-install sg	modprobe sr_mod
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi

Now when I mount the drive "mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrw". I don't get the
modules installed correctly. The order that works by hand is ide-cd,
ide-scsi, sr_mod. This will mount the drive. Why is conf.modules being
ignored?

modutils 2.3.9-6
kernel 2.2.14-5.0

Stephen