RE: Network time server?

> It seems NTP has to be linked up with ether a radio, time server or GPS to
> function...

Does ntpd really refuse to give its time to clients if it hasn't been
syncronized itself?  It might be worth a try to just install the ntp package
on two machines and set one up to request time from the other one, and see
if it works.  It's a really simple program to set up (even dummy me
succeeded in no time flat) so you won't lose much by trying.  The first
machine probably doesn't need a ntp.conf file at all (or an empty one), and
the other one will simply have:
   server <ip address of first server>
   driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
Then just touch (i.e. create an empty) /etc/ntp/drift file, turn on both
daemons, and wait a few minutes.  Start with the time enough different
between the two that you can tell if the second machine adjusts itself.

In our case also it didn't really matter whether the clocks were synced
perfectly with the rest of the world or not, but it was simple enough to
find 2 or 3 public Stratum 2 servers that I ended up setting it up pretty
much the way the instructions say - I set up one machine to sync off of the
public servers and the rest to sync off of the first one.  Runs like
clockwork (dumb pun intended - what can I say, it's late at night here!).

Karen