Re: Win2000 and Samba

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the help.  The server account exists in Users and Computers
under Active Directory.  I can't see where to set any password for the
account.  I've enabled everything for the server's account (cos I don't
yet understand Win2k - we'e only had it a week or so and I've just got
my hands on it.)  How do I switch it to mixed/Legacy mode?  I'm not
going to use the Linux server as a PDC in the new domain,  just a file
server. I hate Win2000 already - looking through it it seems to me
they've made it as difficult as possible for anything other than MS
stuff to connect to it, and therefore in my mind deserve everything the
DoJ chucks at them!  Surely they must realise that peoople do actually
use other OS's than Windows!  (Sorry to rant - I'm a tiny bit annoyed)

Matt

Kevin Colby wrote:

> If you are using Win2000 for your PDC, you will need to run it in
> mixed or legacy mode.  Can NT clients join the domain?
>
> That error message is usually the result of not creating a
> workstation account before trying the "smbpasswd -j".  Make
> sure the machine name matches the account as well.
> Also, check the "password server" setting in smb.conf.
> Either list your PDC for it, or "*", which should find the
> PDC for the domain (as defined by the "workgroup" in smb.conf).
>
>         - Kevin Colby
>           kevinc grainsystems com

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by Fesa UK Limited, this communication should be treated as confidential and the information contained therein may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it was sent.  If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please contact the sender immediately.
WARNING:  Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  Fesa UK Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
This e-mail and and attachments may not be copied and forwarded without the written consent of Fesa UK Limited .  In the event of copying or forwarding, the recipient will be required to idemnify Fesa UK Limited against any claim for loss or damage caused by any virus or otherwise.