Re: Version upgrade .. NOT REALLY!

On  Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Bongo deGilligan immortalised himself by saying...

> I don't understand. In other words they are offering a precompiled kernel
> for $29.00 and that's it ? They are not offering the latest versions of the
> varous packages (rpm's) that usually accompany a new release ?

They are offering XFree86 4.x which is a bit too premature I think since
there are several hardware compatibilities to be resolved.

>In the past
> when they released a new version, say like when they released 6.0, and I
> wanted to upgrade from the 5.0 release to 6.0, I had the option of buying
> the CD rom for X amount of dinero, sheckels, bucks, etc... and then I was
> given the option of doing a full install or an upgrade. The upgrade
> consisted of installation of the new kernel and new versions of all the
> packages that I had installed on the system plus, the options to add
> packages that might enhance overall performance, such as GNOME,  KDE,
<snip>

> Is this no longer the case ? Or, is this still the case but at a
> considerably higher cost than in the past ?

The simple explanation is that Redhat is fast becoming the Microsoft of
the Linux world.

> Last but not least. I find redhat upgrades are a pain anyhow. A lot of stuff
> gets broken, I end up spending the next 2 days fixing and patching up
> whatever broke and  ain't working no more . This is not so bad at home where
> I have time to play but, at work we have several Linux boxes (running rehat)
> that we depend upon heavilly. When stuff gets broke it's gotta get fixed and
> FAST!!

Then Debian is the right way to go, Upgrading is so simple and easily done
via the apt package manager.

For example "apt-get update", followed by "apt-get upgrade", will cause
apt to connect to debians ftp/http server and download the latest updates
etc for the distribution unpack them and install them and restarting any
daemons if necessary. It was a pleasure to watch apt upgrade my Potato
distribution so painlessly and transparently.

And installing packages is very simple, "apt-get xmms", and it will make
the connection and download it and you have xmms running after a few
keystrokes.

To give a fair and balanced view however one negatve side to potato that I
think is thats it's configuration file layout is slightly different, ie
there are /etc/rc.boot directories, but once you get the hang of it, it
makes sense, fr ex, any script placed in the /etc/rc.boot directory gets
executed at boot time, which vastly simplifies management.

> Instead of upgrading (the Redhat way), why not just upgrade the kernel and
> then upgrade individual packages individually, as needed.  Start with the
> base system and work your way upward. No point in upgrading stuff that you
> don't really need or can, in some cases, be removed altogether. That's how
> I'll probably be handling upgrades around here and at work from now on.

If you have a machine to spare you can try and Install Debian GNU/Linux
2.2 aka Potato, and see how you like it and how it works out. ISO's and
installling from FTP are available at debian.org, BTW potato comes with
over 4000 packages so you will enjoy it...:)

> Plus it saves the hassle of a million and one things breaking all at once.
> And, best of all you save yourself $179.00.

I know it may sound not nice saying so on a RH newsgroup, but the only
appropriate answer to Rathead's demands is to either stick with 6.x (which
IMHO was the best RH release) doing the updates yourself, or make a visit
to debain.org select whatever installation method you like and enjoy.

Grendel

--
| /"__ ._ _  _  _| _ |`- grendel lintux cx -'(]__/|| |

Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)