Re: Installing Linux on an old 486 compaq laptop

I'd recommend an old version of Linux.  Keep in mind that not much fits
in 80MB.  Newer kernel versions require lots of RAM.

Take a look at old mirrors of RH or slackware.  4MB RAM isn't lots of
headrom, either. From a RedHat perspective, you'll have to go back at
least as far as RH 4.2, perhaps further.

Alternatively, you might look at some floppy-based distributions, and
add things from there.  I doubt any version of X will fit on that box.
Sorry.

Another idea would be to find a way to use that machine as an Xterm -
storing binaries on another network attached machine to overcome the
80MB limitation - perhaps qnx has something that might help in this
space?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom Cooper