From: Chris Harvey [mailto:chris e-harvey com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 10:15 AM
To: redhat-install-list redhat com
Subject: Re: MS Exchange Client (IT DOES EXIST)

> There seems to be a little confusion here.  There IS an MS Exchange client
> for Linux its called TradeXCH from Bynari.  Their web-site can be found at
> www.bynari.com.  Hope this helps.

That's all very nice and good but the key here is from their web site:

snip~
SMTP
LDAP
IMAP
MIME Support
snip~

Essentially from everything I've ever read about the product it is
essentially an IMAP/POP client with LDAP support. It won't do shared
calendar (which is completely MS proprietary and not even defined in the
MAPI spec), it won't look up the address book unless the Exchange server has
LDAP turned on. In other words, it is NOT a MAPI client.

If you are going to use this, you might as well use Netcape Mail in IMAP
mode with LDAP... same difference.

Either way, both suggestions will NOT have the complete environment that an
Outlook Windows client would have, which I 'think' was the original
question. Of course I could be wrong..

If the user really wants all the Outlook'ish features such as shared
calendar, delegates, tasks etc.. OWA is the only solution. If you just want
basic messaging via IMAP or POP and directory services via LDAP, most IMAP
clients including Bynari will do the trick. Of course all this assumes that
these services have been turned on by the Exchange admins.. which they may
have elected not to do if they want to force their users to use Outlook on
MS Windows..

Chris