Re: Sparc file server?

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 04:36:18PM +0000, R. Wilmes wrote:
| We've got a Sun ES3000 Sparc that currently has Solaris 2.1 on it that we
| have NO use for.  Im thinking of installing Linux and turning it into a
| fileserver for approx 200 Win9x clients via Samba.  The domain controllers
| are NT.  The only hitch I see are that we don't have an NIS server so all
| users would have to be added to the Sparc, leading to a lot of
| administration time.
|
| Anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah: leave it running Solaris. Samba and NIS work just fine on that. We
serve files to our users with an E3000 running Solaris. Sparc Linux is
significantly slower than Solaris - it just doesn't make as good use of the
hardware.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs zip com au    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

We are so primitive a species that we have difficulty distributing
anything among ourselves without using the market as an intermediary.
- Kari Stefansson http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinion_224722.html