Re: Where to set default runlevel

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:06:43PM +0200, Martin Sieben wrote:
> Are you sure? Go and try.

No.  I thought further about it and see that it probably won't.  But,
still, if there were other items that had different behavior between
runlevels 3 and 5, you'd have a machine running level 5 but without
xdm (the graphical login).  It seems analogous to disconnecting the
fuel line to the engine to stop it.  There is a more proper way to do
it.  But for your machine, suit yourself.

> It works fine and there is no error messages
> flood. Of course, you have to restart inittab after editing it.
>
> Testing was sucessfully done on custom RedHat 7.0 installation. Installed
> in March, 2001
>
> If you want, I can give you screenshot in priv mail
>
> Martin
>
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>
> > I strongly disagree.  I think that is a Very Bad Idea (tm).  All you
> > are doing is breaking a part of inittab, which, I would think, would
> > generate copious amounts of error messages in /var/log/messages.  Just
> > change initdefault.
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 08:53:29PM +0200, Martin Sieben wrote:
> > > Modify /etc/inittab and remove X starting.
> > >
> > > # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> > > # xdm is now a separate service
> > > x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
> > >
> > > Something like that. It's the easiest way, I think.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Martin Sieben
> > > Server and network security
> > > RemoteAdmins.net
> > > mailto:martin sieben remoteadmins net
> > > http://www.remoteadmins.net

> > Cheers,
> >

> --
> We are what we are.

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr.            | Aren't you glad you're not getting
Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.   | all the government you pay for now?