-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-admin redhat com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-admin redhat com]On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 5:37 PM
To: redhat-install-list redhat com
Subject: Re: can't boot to xwindows

Steve Schafer wrote:

>Thanks.  fsck worked nicely.  Now I'm working with the issue of XFree86.  I
>did verifications on all the XFree86 packages and found that the
>XFree86-4.0.3-5 package has discrepencies in some .dir files in the /fonts
>area.  I don't know if this is a problem or not but if I wanted to
>re-install this package, do I need to first uninstall all the packages that
>depend on it (there are a bunch)?  Or is there a quicker way?

You don't have to uninstall the existing packages...you can use the
"--force"
option to rpm to force a reinstall.  If the "/fonts" stuff is missing,
make sure you
install those first, then do the forced reinstall of the XFree86 stuff.

I'll be out for a goodly portion of tomorrow, but I'll try to respond to
any further
questions when I get back.  I just can't guarantee if that'll be tomorrow or
Wednesday.  Good luck in the interim!

- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc.      rstevens vitalstream com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                    http://www.vitalstream.com -
-                  Heisenberg _may_ have slept here                  -
This messsage was sent using the trial version of the
1st Class Mail Server software.

The 1st Class Mail Server 3.0 has lots of cool new features.
Best of all, it's still free! To download the latest version,
go to http://www.1cis.com/download/1cismail.asp