-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-admin redhat com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-admin redhat com]On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 11:12 AM
To: redhat-install-list redhat com
Subject: Re: can't boot to xwindows

Steve Schafer wrote:

>It shows up in SysV-Init at runlevel 3, 4 and 5, but I don't see it in the
>KDE system guard process list, unless it has a name I don't recognize.  Is
>there a log file somewhere that will tell me if it was unable to start?

It creates a lock file in /var/run.  The best way to see if it's running
is to run "ps" on it:

    # ps -ax | grep xfs
      899 ?        S      0:34 xfs -droppriv -daemon
    29430 pts/3    D      0:00 grep xfs

And in /var/run you should see an "xfs.pid" file containing the PID of the
running process:

    # cat /var/run/xfs.pid
      899

It really should only run in level 5 unless you permit remote X-servers
to run X clients on your machine in levels 3 and 4 (which some people
do).

- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc.      rstevens vitalstream com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                    http://www.vitalstream.com -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -
This messsage was sent using the trial version of the
1st Class Mail Server software.

The 1st Class Mail Server 3.0 has lots of cool new features.
Best of all, it's still free! To download the latest version,
go to http://www.1cis.com/download/1cismail.asp