Re: What is the location of the directory of C header files that match kernel?

----- Original Message -----
From: <HeidiPL48 aol com>
To: <redhat-install-list redhat com>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 12:36 PM
Subject: What is the location of the directory of C header files that match
kernel?

> In attempting to install VMware on Redhat Linux 7.3 I got the message
> "What is the location of the C header files that match your running kernel
> [/usr/src/linus/include]?
> It doesn't like /usr/src/redhat or /usr/lib or /usr/include.  One of the
> messages is that it is looking for "linux" "asm" "net" and can't find
them,
> although I can see them. Another message is that the directory has the
wrong
> version kernel and is needs the correct one.
> What is the best thing for me to do?  Study kernels online somewhere and
get

It sounds like the package kernel-headers is missing from your install. I
don't believe you get them unless you install developer packages. You need
to find cd disk 1 of your Red Hat set, and open the  /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMs/
directory.
Then, rpm to install the kernel-headers package.

> to know mine?  It's looking for some C compiler to finish the VMware
> installation.  I don't have the latest VMware, it's version 2.0.3-799.  I
> want to run Windows 2000 on Linux through VMware.
> Heidi

It's probably looking for gcc the c compiler. That's also a large part of
the developer package you get with Red Hat.