More questions from a beginner with a huge task

Hello, guys:

     I'm needing some help... I'm a beginner in the Linux world (all of my professional experience was in a Windows NT/2000 fashion) and now I'm responsible for implementing a Linux Beowulf-like cluster for the Physics Department at Federal University of Uberlandia (Brazil) using some pre-installed machines. I'd like to know how to:

a) definitely change the hostname of a machine. When I use the hostname command to do it and reboot the machine, it continues to use the previous name;

b) definitely change the IP address of a NIC. When I use the ifconfig command to do it and reboot the machine, it continues to use de previous IP address for the NIC;

c) add a new network interface card to a machine and make such a NIC to be recognized by Linux (will kudzu automatically detect and install the NIC or will I have to recompile the kernel?);

d) configure a Linux machine as a router (gateway) for a subnet (links are welcome).

     Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Roberto Veiga

Do You Yahoo!?