RE: install problem on dual processors

Title: RE: install problem on dual processors

Gave "noapic" a try and still no luck. Kernel upgrade likewise. In single CPU mode the next thing that happens ( after the point where duel CPU hangs), is detection of irq's for the scsi cards. BIOS upgrade may be unavoidable as I am running out of options.

> Warren Mason wrote:
> > I have been attempting to install RH7.3 on a Supermicro
> superserver that has
> > 2 PIII CPU's. All goes fine until the server  reboots and
> then it just hangs
> > right after "Loading aic7xxx module" appears on screen.
> However, if I boot
> > into the single CPU kernel there is no problems at all and
> all works fine. I
> > thought it must be something wrong with the server so I got
> a new one and
> > the same problem happens at exactly the same time. Anyone
> have an idea what
> > could be wrong?
>
> Try booting with the "noapic" option on the command line.  This smells
> like an APIC race condition--especially since the single proc kernel
> works. If that works, then try to update your motherboard's BIOS by
> using the utility from Supermicro's website.  You may also wish to
> upgrade the kernel to 2.4.18-5 or 2.4.18-10.
>
> The noapic option forces Linux to set up the APICs rather
> than depending
> on what the BIOS sets them to.  And updated BIOS may set them to the
> proper configuration.

This message is intended for the addressee named and
may contain confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
Department of Information Technology & Management.

This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper
for the presence of computer viruses.