RE: VPN

> >This worked the way I thought it should - one program to do everything -
> >connect to his machine and to view his screen.  Why do I need to use the
> >CISCO VNC program AND the Java scripting from PCAnywhere to do the same
> >thing for work?  Seems like PCAnywhere is just an extra layer.
> Is it just
> >the way we have it set up or is there something else going on I
> don't see?
> >
> >Brad
>
> Brad,
>
> That would depend on where your system sits at work.  I would expect it to
> be
> behind a Firewall.  I think the Cisco is actually the VPN setup and only
> sets up a Private VPN tunnel for you to access work.  The
> PCAnywhere is then
> used to access your PC at work.  You can try and just install VNC server
> on your work PC and try and access it as you would PCAnywhere.  If that
> does not work you may need to change the IP Port VNC uses by
> default to use
> the one PCAnywhere uses.  If that still does not work then you
> will need to
> find a way to VPN into your work.  Once you VPN into your office
> you should
> have no problem using the VNC.
>
> I would start by installing the VNC Server on your machine at work and
> then try and access it from home.
>
> Good Luck,
> Dan

I think Dan's probably right. From my perspective I still don't understand
Linux style VPN's very well. With the Windows style VPN, I can attach to my
company's network and the local Windows box becomes part of that network, so
the PCAnywhere locally actually has an office IP for a period of time. (At
least the way my company's network and VPN work. This means I can run
anything on my PC and it acts like it's at work, including PCAnywhere.

With Linux, it seems like I can attach to the network using ssh, but after
that how do I run an app and give it access to the work's network resources?
(ala windows VPN style.)

Anyway, solving this (low priority) issue would, for me, remove one of the
last 3 barriers about having Windows at home.

- Mark