Re: email/webmail packages

On the Windows side, Outlook in any of its permutations (yeech!), i thought
the very mention of that was punishible by death on these lists. :)

yea...i'm not explainig myself well or thinking straight(far too sick)  i
installed a very bare bones version of RH8...without
apache/php/squirellmail, really only with the OS.  i elected to install
*very* few packages...there is no mail software besides Sendmail on my
machine.

maybe i'll rerun the discs.  and add a few of these packages. as i'd really
like to get that running with the ease that many of you said it would take.

Thanks again for all your responses.
Jeff

                      Rick Stevens
                      <rstevens vitalstream com        To:       redhat-install-list redhat com
                      >                                cc:
                      Sent by:                         Subject:  Re: email/webmail packages
                      redhat-install-list-admin
                      @redhat.com

                      12/09/2003 01:00 PM
                      Please respond to
                      redhat-install-list

jeffrey_n_Dyke Keane com wrote:
> thank you all for your contributions.  I should have mentioned that i
don't
> have Xwindows installed on this box and i installed my own version of
> Apache and PHP, due to some special needs, so http://my.domain/webmail is
> unfortunately not an option.  looks like you all pointed me in a similar
> direction though...I don't mind doing the builds...

You don't need to have X installed to run apache or SquirrelMail (the
vast majority of systems we run here are web servers and I think maybe
2% have X installed).

> anyone have any input to an imap client?

Almost any mail program supports IMAP.  On the Windows side, Outlook in
any of its permutations (yeech!), Eudora, Mozilla, Netscape Mail, etc.
On the Linux side: fetchmail, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Opera, KMail,
you name it.  The only MUA protocol more popular than IMAP is POP3.

> James F. Smith III wrote:
>
>>Just FYI - SquirrelMail requires Apache & IMAP up and running for it to
>
> work
>
>>as well.  In Webmin just turn them on and set them to startup at boot.
>
> Then
>
>>go to  http://your.domain/webmail like Harold suggested.  Runs like a
>
> champ.
>
>>There are also some interesting add-ons that you can use to increase the
>>functionality of SquirrelMail as well.  Add-ons and instructions on how

>>implement them are on the SquirrelMail site.  I agree with Harold -
>>SquirrelMail - Web Mail for Nuts is great.  Price is right as well.  Give
>
> it
>
>>a try.
>>
>>Jim

-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -