Software RAID

Hi Group,

I have software raid running on a server. Two harddrives on one ribbon.
Primary and Secondary. I setup software raid to mirror between the two
drives.

My question is if the Primary drive fails, then the secondary drive will
kick in. But what happens if I reboot the machine without a working Primary
drive. Will it boot or will I have to first open the case remove the primary
drive and make the secondary drive primary before it will boot. Then add a
new Secondary drive and rebuild the raid array.  OR can I just replace the
primary drive with a new drive, the server booting from the secondary and
then rebuilds the raid array on the primary.

I am trying to figure out the recovery method from a failed primary drive.
No good to have raid if you don't know to use it.

Thanks,
Mark.