Bad magic number in superblock

I have (I think correctly) installed RH9 on my PC, to dual-boot from c:

However, when I try to boot RH9, I get the following message:

==================

Checking filesystems

fsck.ext3/dev/hda2

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.
If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap
or ufs or something else) then the superblcok is corrupt and you might try
running e2fsck withan alternative superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

:Bad magic number in superblcok while trying to open /dev/hda2 [FAILED]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.

*** Dropping you to a shell, the system will reboot

*** when you leave the shell

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysint.line 535 /sbin/sulogin:

cannot execute

Unmounting file systems

..after which the cursor flashes and the PC hangs.

As an utter Linux newbie, I have no idea whatsoever as to how to tackle this.  I
have tried installing several times, and if I try the following:

install, boot Win ME, restart, boot RH9

then RH9 will work, but only on that occasion & not thereafter.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Harrison

- --