Re: ftp Name or service not known

Logan wrote:
Hi all.

On my redhat 7.3 server machine, I had ftp working perfectly on default
port 21 following the instructions given me here.

My isp has now "upgraded" to new docsys modems that double our bandwidth
and also block ports 21 and 80

The ftp which had worked with default port, has now had its port changed
to custom port 2121. Now when I preform the root shell command:

ftp localhost 2121

I recieve the following return:

ftp: localhost :2121: Name or service not known

did my local tech in attempting to swith ports, do something to cause
ftp to be unrecognized?

What can I do to reintroduce my linux box to the ftp it claims not to
recognize now?

So your ISP won't let you run an FTP or web server from your home system, eh? Cute.

Your daemon is only listening on port 21.  You can fix this in two
ways:

Method 1: Edit the "/etc/services" file and change the line as shown:

    Was:
	ftp	21/TCP

    Change to:
	#ftp	21/tcp

Then edit the /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd file and add the following line
between the opening "{" and closing "}":

port = 2121

Then, as the root user:

	# kill -HUP `pidof xinetd`	(RH8.0)
	# kill -USR2 `pidof xinetd`	(RH7.3 and older)

Method 2: Simply change the "ftp 21/tcp" line in "/etc/services" as
shown:

    Was:
	ftp	21/TCP

    Change to:
	ftp	2121/tcp

Then issue the appropriate "kill" command from method 1 to make it work.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -