Samba Upgrade Issue

Chris Morton cmorton at newsguy.com
Thu Apr 8 22:33:28 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Chris Morton wrote:
>
>> Over the weekend, I upgraded my server from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora.
>>
>> For the most part, everything runs.  There is a major problem however.
>>
>> I was running Samba 2.2.x.  When I did the upgrade, I no longer had
>> access to my home directory.
>>
>> After finally finding some useful documentation, it appears that 3.x
>> is VASTLY different from 2.x.  I THINK the issue relates to LDAP, but
>> I don't know anything about LDAP, and I haven't gotten far enough
>> into the documentation to make heads or tails of what's really going on.
>

> I think you'll find that the difference is in the security.  Samba 2.x
> used "security = share" by default, 3.x uses "security = user".

Thanks for your reply.

I solved both problems earlier today.

I use my Samba as a PDC, so I already have "security=user".  The problem
was with this line in the [homes] share:

"valid users = %S"

Apparently, this is not permitted in Samba 3.x.  Commenting it out
solved that problem.

>> Can anybody tell me if there's a quick fix for the home directory issue?
>

> Check your log files in /var/log/samba to see what the issue is.  You
> may want to install swat and use it to modify your setups.
>
>> Secondly, I have video on the server, but it seems to be at the wrong
>> sync rate(s), because of video artifacts on the screen.  I use an old
>> close out MicroCenter 14" monitor on a switchbox to access the server
>> directly.  Apparently no version of RedHat can probe it correctly,
>> and finding the monitor spec.s is quite the challenge.  I THINK I
>> found a usenet post on Google Groups (in Russian!) with the right
>> spec.s, but unless I'm mistaken the X configuration file has changed
>> some too.  It's listed as an "E447AU" on the back of the monitor.  I
>> ended up picking a Generic 1024x768 monitor just to get video.  What
>> do I need to change, especially to get the frequency right for the
>> resolutions?
>

> You can try redhat-config-xfree86 and reconfigure X.  It allows you to
> choose different resolutions and such and test them before committing
> them to the config file.  WARNING: You may damage your monitor when you
> test modes greater than 640x480 if the refresh and sync rates are wrong.

The video problem was apparently caused by Fedora either mis-identifying
the video card, rather than the monitor, or using a driver that sucked.
I switched to "VESA" for the video card and video is perfect.