Samba Upgrade Issue

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 9 00:19:12 UTC 2004

Chris Morton wrote:

>>> Nope.
>>
>> Hmmm.  Then it's still valid.  Do the Windows users have a Linux
>> account or mapped via a usermap.cfg file?  They don't have an individual
>
> All users have a Linux account.
>

>> [username] service associated, do they?
>
> No.

After doing a bit of reading, I find in the release notes:

Changes in Behavior

The following issues are known changes in behavior between Samba 2.2 and
Samba 3.0 that may affect certain installations of Samba.

   1)  When operating as a member of a Windows domain, Samba 2.2 would
       map any users authenticated by the remote DC to the 'guest account'
       if a uid could not be obtained via the getpwnam() call.  Samba 3.0
       rejects the connection as NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.  There is no
       current work around to re-establish the 2.2 behavior.

Could that have been what was going on?
-                    Do you know where _your_ towel is?              -