Disapperance of a Grub menu after repairing a problem on a Windows partition

Ajai Khattri ajai at bway.net
Mon Apr 12 17:09:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Ashok Patel wrote:

> Now after repairing the third partition MS windows
> problem, what happened is that GRUB menu stopped
> appearing.

Sounds like Windows replaced your MBR with its own bootloader.

> My point is that I want to have GRUB menu back
> "without using the Fedora Core 1 bootable CD" so that
> I will have option of booting either into Fedora Core
> 1 or MS windows. Would anybody help me bringing the
> GRUB menu back. I don't want to insert the Fedora Core
> 1 bootbale CD each time to open Fedora Core I.

You need to run grub so it can install its own bootloader in the MBR of
you boot drive.

Something like:

# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit
#

where hd0,0 is the first partition on the first drive. If this is not your
boot drive then use the appropriate device (drives and partitions are
number from 0 so the second partition on your second drive would be hd1,1.

See linux HOWTOs andf RedHat docs for more info.

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer