problems with AMD64 FX-51 SK8V NVIDIA-FX

Aleksandar Stefanovski astefano at ebire.org
Mon Apr 12 23:29:45 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I am having hard time installing RedHat Enterprise Linux WS v3.0.

At the end of the email you can find the specifications of the 64-bit
AMD computer specifications.

I have installed IA-32 RedHat Enterprise Linux WS v3.0 and RedHat 9.0,
and both work like a charm on an IDE Hard Disk, but they do not
recognize the Ethernet Adapter, nor they find the SATA drives.

After speaking with RedHat Tech-Support, I was told I was using the
wrong version of Linux, and I was to be downloading the RedHat
Enterprise Linux WS v3.0 for AMD64 (x86_64).

Of course followed the suggestions, however the "correct version" does
not recognize the Ethernet, nor the Graphics card nor any of the two
SATA hard disks, so I can't even install it? (I am not even trying to
install it on IDE, because I am focusing on SATAs.) I had exact problems
with Fedora (which was the reason I purchased an educational licence.)

Am I using the wrong SATA controler? Are any of the hardware components
too new for Linux, hense no drivers available? Any suggestions on how to
install this darn thing? I have never had such problems with Linux
before.

Thank you in advance,
 -- Aleksandar

System specs:
Asus SK8V Motherboard
- VIA K8T800
- 3COM GbLAN (3C940)
- Dual SATA RAID (Promise 20378 RAID & VT8237 RAID)

AMD Athlon 64 FX51
1GB RAM Dual Channel (2x 512MB)
2x 250Gb SATA

ASUS V9980 Ultra FX 5950 Ultra 256MB Video RAM