linux ext2 or ext3...

Chris Morton cmorton at newsguy.com
Sat Apr 17 19:49:47 UTC 2004

pamntom wrote:

> Ha! Found a FAQ page for the explanation:
> http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html
>
> I will go with linux ext3. My question is still out there for anyone’s
> help though. What’s the best partition considering my goal?
>
> These are my options using Partition magic (v8) as I am about to begin
> with an installation of RH9: FAT - NTFS – Linux ext2 – Linux ext3 –
> Linux swap.
>
> What are the differences? Don’t need swap space (yet), so I am down to
> four options… I am going to assume that I want linux, but which
> partition choice?
>
> I have a new Dell workstation (Precision 450) running EXP, and I plan
> to have a dual boot WXP/RH9 using Grub as my loader, and samba to talk
> to my other NT systems. Also: I have a low-end ATI video card, as a
> default for now.

I recommend ext3, since it's a journaling file system. That means that
it can recover from faults by rolling back.

Actually you DO need a Linux swap partition. It serves a similar
function to the Windows swap file.

If I were you, I'd do some Google Searches on "dual boot". I don't think
you know enough yet to make a meaningful choice. I think there's a dual
boot HOWTO at linuxdoc.org (or linuxdocs.org).

Also, I'm not sure that you're really going to need Partition Magic to
do what you want.

Personally, I've sidestepped the whole dual boot issue. I use separate
hard drives in removeable drive carriers. That way, I don't have to deal
with the problems that Windows always introduces. I just shut down and
switch drives to switch operating systems. Works MUCH better for me. The
carriers are very cheap, typically as low as $9.00 a piece, including
all hardware. Buy two or three so that you can just swap carriers. Use
others to swap data drives if you need to.