RH9 Up2date failure (gs040417a)

Gene Sears (MUMC) gsears at mumctville.org
Sat Apr 17 21:31:48 UTC 2004

RH9 Up2date failure, when this occurs is there an error log written, and
where?  Since it fails at 20% (after building an update list) connectivity
isn't the issue, what are other high probability failure causes?  Since
RedHat recognizes the user id, pw and email address, I think it may be
registered, but since I have made several attempts to use up2date and ALL
have failed at 20%, I'm not certain.

Gene

In case it is relative, X won't start and xfree86 is unable to successfully
configure the adapter or monitor.  The monitor is listed in xfree86, but is
not recognized.  The adapter "SiS 650/740" is not listed in xfree86 even
though it is favorably mentioned in the xfree86 log file.  On exiting
xfree86 it, always reports ALL monitor and adapter info. as "bogus" from
probing.

The PC is a K7SOM mainboard based clone (1015 Hz Duron CPU, 128MB/32 shared
w/video, integrated SiS 650/740 video, sound, and Ethernet).  It is able to
ping or be pinged on the LAN, and can ping hosts on the Internet.