linux ext2 or ext3...

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 17 22:55:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 03:47:34PM -0700, Matt Sedlar wrote:
> There are complaints on Amazon.com about Partition Magic (v.8) freaking out with Windows XP Home edition. I would avoid using Partition Magic altogether. I bought Partition Commander (v.8) and that was even bigger joke.
>
> Consider donating $50-$70 to your favorite charity before your purchase that software.

I missed commenting on that aspect.  You don't need PM or PC.  Just
install Windoze first (using FAT32 filesystem), but don't let it take
the whole drive.  Hold back as much as you want for Linux.

Then install Linux, specifying ext2 instead of (the default) ext3.  As
previously posted, when the install is done, convert to ext3.

Oh, and when you configure the boot loader, have GRUB written to the
master boot record (MBR) on /dev/hda.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Forbidden fruit creates many jams.