RH9 Ongoing struggle to get installed... (gs040419a)

Gene Sears (MUMC) gsears at mumctville.org
Mon Apr 19 16:54:44 UTC 2004

Have not been able to get Up2date to complete successfully. It was suggested
that I manually download the up2date files, and update them.  The RHN
suggested that too, hinting that the Up2date in the ISO had problems.
Unfortunately it has just been assumed that it would be known what folder to
put them in.  Still don't have a clue.  I ran "up2date --configure", and
copied down the paths listed there, then I ran "man up2date", where the same
paths were listed, and /var/spool/up2date/ was identified as the one where
packages were placed.  I downloaded the files on a functional PC, put them
on a CD, then took them to the tortured and afflicted PC (no no, that's me),
and copied them to /var/spool/up2date/.  They then passed the md5sum test.
When I ran RPM -Fhv up2date-* (or -Fvh, it was correct when I did it, I'm
now at the functional PC), something calling itself "Glob" reported that it
couldn't find up2date-*.  All this was done with me logged as root and at
/root

Suggestions please, including where (on the PC) to put the manually
downloaded RPMs.

I have discovered that if you start VIM  as "VIM .." you can explore the
folder structure.  Is there another more appropriate tool that can be used
for that when X won't run?

Gene

Other, perhaps pertinent information:
The PC is a K7SOM mainboard based clone, (1015 Hz Duron CPU, 128MB RAM /32
shared w/video, integrated SiS 650/740 video, sound, and Ethernet).  It is
able to ping or be pinged on the LAN, and can ping hosts on the Internet.

Other RedHat Lists emails from/to me in regard to this unfortunate saga can
be viewed by searching for 04041 in the Subject lines.