EL 2.1 install via PXE Boot and NFS Kickstart

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 19 23:04:15 UTC 2004

Aaron Cline wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've been going round and round with a problem for the last few days and
> I'm hoping someone out here can help.  I have a bunch of new Compaq
> D530s with Broadcom NICs.  The Broadcom driver for these NICs is the
> bcm5700.  The bcm5700 driver in the 2.4.9.e34BOOT kernel does not work
> out of the box.  I have downloaded some GPL drivers from Broadcom's
> site.  I have been able to compile these for the 2.4.9.e34BOOT kernel
> and insmod them on a machine running this kernel.  They work like a
> charm.  I have also found other documentation about howto edit the
> RHCD1:/images/pxeboot/initrd.img file to add my new bcm5700 module to
> the boot image.
> I then boot via PXE.  Everything works great.  I get a message saying
> bcm5700 found.  Then it says it inserts the module, no errors.  Then it
> says its going to try to get an address via DHCP, and chokes.  Basically
> the kernel tells me that there is no eth0 device.  I'm stumped.  I have
> been working on this for days.  Does anyone have any tid-bits of wisdom?

I've been doing that a LOT.  The proper driver to download from Broadcom
is the bcm5700-7.1.22.zip (or whatever it's called).  To build the
driver, as the root user:

1.  Download the .zip file to a scratch directory

2.  Make sure you're running the kernel you're targeting AND that you
have downloaded and installed the kernel source RPM.

3.  Do "cd /usr/src/linux-2.4"

4.  Do "make mrproper"

5.  Do "cp /boot/config-(kernelversion) .config"  Replace
"(kernelversion)" with your kernel version, e.g.

	cp /boot/config-2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp .config

(yes, that's "dot-config" in the "/usr/src/linux-2.4" directory)

6.  Edit the Makefile in /usr/src/linux-2.4 and change the
"EXTRAVERSION=" parameter to match the last bit you get from the "uname
-r" command (get rid of the "custom" bit), e.g.:

     WAS:
	EXTRAVERSION = -9.0.1.ELcustom

     CHANGE TO:
	EXTRAVERSION = -9.0.1.ELsmp

7.  Do "make oldconfig;make dep"

8.  "cd" to the scratch directory where you downloaded the driver to.

9.  Do "unzip bcm5700-7.1.22.zip"

10. Do "cd linux"

11. Do "tar xzf bcm5700-7.1.22.tar.gz"

12. Do "cd bcm5700-7.1.22/src"

13. Do "make" to build the driver.  Watch for errors.  If you get them,
the odds are you didn't do the "make mrproper" in /usr/src/linux-2.4
before you did the "make oldconfig;make dep".

14. To test it, make sure you have done "ifconfig eth0 down" and
unloaded the bcm5700 or tg3 driver that was loaded (use the "rmmod"
command).  Then, "insmod bcm5700.o".

15. If you get no errors, do a "lsmod" and verify that the bcm5700
module is loaded.  If it is, try "ifconfig eth0 up" and verify you can
ping your gateway.

16. If that all checks out, do "make install", edit your
/etc/modules.conf file to make sure you have "alias eth0 bcm5700".  Do a
final "depmod -a" and you should be ready to reboot with the new driver.
-        "More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"         -