Recover utilities

gerry nix gerrynix at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 13:36:44 UTC 2004

--- "Carr, Steve M CW4 FL-ARNG" <steve.carr at fl.ngb.army.mil> wrote:
> HP-UX has a utility called make_recovery that creates a bootable
> tape that will restore the OS.
>
> Does RedHat Linux have a similar utility or can you just restore
> from a backup tape and it'll make your disk bootable ?

A tape restore will not make your disk bootable. You might
look at the dd command which will transfer a bootable image. If
you have a spare hard drive same size or larger you can use dd
or Norton Ghost (newer versions) to clone your drive. Recovery
is then simply switching drives and restoring data.

Norton Ghost will let you burn the drive image to CDs. It is then
possible to restore a bootable system from the CD set. I've done
this (CDs), for Windows recovery, but haven't tried it for Linux.
I assume it (CDs) would work.
--
Nix