Apache with php4

jonathan.share at syngenta.com jonathan.share at syngenta.com
Thu Apr 22 08:51:13 UTC 2004

Just as I got to the end of writing this mail I realised I have overlooked
the obvious. Have you installed the php rpm??
If not please follow the instructions for option 1 detailed below.

Samantha,

OK, I'm no guru so if anything I say is wrong I hope that I am corrected by
someone.

RPMs are used to allow users to install software without worrying about
compiling or setting up startup scripts etc. If you compile manually then
rpm -q will not show the package because you have not installed an RPM file.
The 2 procedures are independent i.e. you cannot update a manually compiled
application with RPM and you cannot change compilation flags of an RPM. You
have to choose one or the other not both. Therefore your 2 options are

1) remove your manually compiled version and reinstall the RPM version
a) I'm not sure if there is a "make uninstall" option for apache and php if
not you could try "rm -rf /www" as root
b) if "rpm -q httpd" shows that it is installed run "rpm -e httpd" to be
sure you now have a clean system
c) Run "rpm -Uhv httpd-2.0...rpm"
d) Run "rpm -Uhv php-4.3.4...rpm"
e) If this is the same as my Fedora install the file
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf has a line along the lines of "Include
conf.d/*.conf" you should therefore also find a directory /etc/httpd/conf.d
containing about 6 files one of them being php.conf where you should find
the appropriate LoadModule line. In which case all is well and you can start
developing.

2) Make sure RPM isn't installed add change all relevant config files

RTFM - FIRST READ THE FILES "./httpd_xxx/INSTALL" and "./php-xxx/INSTALL"
these tell you *everything* you need to know to install apache with php
support

a) if "rpm -q httpd" shows that it is installed run "rpm -e httpd" to be
sure you will not have any conflicts with your manual install
b) probably wise to reinstall your manual compiled version if you have since
had the RPM installed
c) Edit the file /www/conf/httpd.conf to include the appropriate LoadModule
entries as documented in the php INSTALL file
d) You can test that everything works by executing "/www/bin/apachectl
start"
e) To control this via the services panel you need to create a script called
httpd in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory details of this file should be found
in the httpd INSTALL file if I remember correctly (it's been a few months
since I did this)
f) All should be set up correctly

I strongly recommend taking option 1. The only reason I would go for option
2 is if you needed a PHP module compiling in that is not in the RPM'd
version but this is highly unlikely

HTH

Jon