Disk space issue during install.

Jon Goodridge Jon at goodridge.us
Thu Apr 22 19:22:31 UTC 2004

On Thursday, April 22, 2004, at 12:39  PM, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Jon Goodridge wrote:
>> Rick,
>>     Thanks for your help.  I finally got RH9 to load by deleting the
>> partition and letting install set up what it wanted in the free
>> space.    I ended up with a 100MB "/boot" and a 3.9GB root "/"
>> partition.  Does  Red Hat require /boot to be separate partition from
>> "/" ?
>
> No, it doesn't _require_ it.
>
>>     Anyway I was able to install RH9, but it would not boot.   Most
>> likely  I have something wrong in lilo.conf.  linux on /boot went
>> fine, but  then I kept getting read-only on "/".
>
> With Mandrake in the mix, the odds are that your RH system is trying to
> mount Mandrake's "/" (depends on if Mandrake set up filesystem labels
> and lilo picked up Mandrake's instead of RH's.
I had written lilo to the /boot partition.  When I 1st boot I come up
in osl2000, which I then tell to boot the /boot partition and lilo
boots from there.  This is how it worked with Mandrake, so I was hoping
RH would work the same way.

>>     I now have more serious problems.  I decided to delete the
>> install (it  was a minimum install for testing anyway).   I deleted
>> the RH9  partition.  Now my partition table has become corrupted.
>> Disk Druid  can't read it and bombs.   I put osl2000 on the drive
>> just to see if it  could read the partition table.  osl2000 saw the
>> Mandrake 10.0  partitions, however, when I tried to boot Mandrake
>> lilo gave me:
>>     "L99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99........." for about 1/3 of
>> the  screen and then died.
>>     So are there any partition wizards out there who can help ?
>
> Sounds like a partition didn't start or end on a cylinder boundry.  An
> "L" followed by digits usually indicates a geometry problem between
> what lilo thinks and what the BIOS reports.  Did you change any BIOS
> settings by accident (e.g. turned off LBA mode)?
Mandrake use to boot and I haven't moved it.  I don't believe I checked
off LBA.  No way to tell now, but I'll be sure to be careful in the
future.

\JonG