xdpyinfo | grep RENDER question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 28 17:26:11 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I find this interesting and a bit puzzling. I have two local machines
> and one remote machine. Both local machines indicate that they support
> the "RENDER" extension in X11 locally:
>
> mknecht at Jack1 mknecht $ xdpyinfo | grep RENDER
>     RENDER
> mknecht at Jack1 mknecht $
>
> mknecht at Jack2 mknecht $ xdpyinfo | grep RENDER
>     RENDER
> mknecht at Jack2 mknecht $
>
> When Jack1 ssh's to Wizard, my home machine, then Wizard says RENDER is
> not supported. However, when I ssh from Jack2 Wizard tells me that
> RENDER is supported:
>
> mknecht at Jack1 mknecht $ !ssh
> ssh -X -C -c blowfish -l mark  mark.myvnc.com
> Password:
> Last login: Wed Apr 28 10:00:32 2004 from w.x.y.z
> mark at Wizard mark $ xdpyinfo  | grep RENDER
> mark at Wizard mark $
>
> mknecht at Jack2 mknecht $ !ssh
> ssh -X -C -c blowfish -l mark  mark.myvnc.com
> Password:
> Last login: Wed Apr 28 10:01:05 2004 from w.x.y.z
> mark at Wizard mark $ xdpyinfo  | grep RENDER
>     RENDER
> mark at Wizard mark $
>
> Now, running Evolution remotely from Jack2 is fast, but running
> Evolution from Jack1 is slow and I get a message about
>
> Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing
>
> so I assume this is part of the problem, but I don't know if it's the
> X11 server on Jack1 (or Wizard?) or something in my ssh setup. (Or
> something else?)
>
>    Any ideas on how I can get Jack1 to see and use (or make available)
> the RENDER option?

That looks like a difference in your sshd configurations or possibly
a PATH or other environment setting for user "mark".  Note that you
were logged into both Jack1 and Jack2 as "mknecht" when you did the
xdpyinfo commands, and you're going into them as user "mark" via the
ssh connections.
-     Warning:  You are logged into reality as the root user...      -