xdpyinfo | grep RENDER question

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Apr 28 20:05:04 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
>>    Any ideas on how I can get Jack1 to see and use (or make available)
>> the RENDER option?
>

> That looks like a difference in your sshd configurations or possibly
> a PATH or other environment setting for user "mark".  Note that you
> were logged into both Jack1 and Jack2 as "mknecht" when you did the
> xdpyinfo commands, and you're going into them as user "mark" via the
> ssh connections.

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for responding.

    So you think it might be differences in Jack1's & Jack2's
sshd_config files? I hadn't considered that sshd locally made any
difference at all in this situation, but looking I don't see anything
different about them. Only 3 lines are enabled:

Protocol 2
UsePAM yes
Subsystem       sftp    /usr/lib/misc/sftp-server

    I had been thinking that what was working here is a single
sshd_config file on Wizard, and that possibly it's some part of either
machine's ssh_config locally. However, nothing is enabled in either
machine's ssh_config file.

    Is this "RENDER" extension something that has to be built into X?
Maybe Jack1 doesn't have the right X stuff for rendering remote sites
installed somehow? That level of understanding is beyond my meager skill
set.

    For the sake of full discloser, these machines are not all Redhat
and not all running the same versions of X or even the same kernel, so
do not make assumptions of some sort of homogeneity. Maybe I built X on
one of the Gentoo boxes recently with different settings? Or maybe some
X-config file somewhere changed this for just one machine. I think I
didn't say this before, but neither machine had this problem a couple of
weeks ago.

Thanks,
Mark