Login Problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 29 17:35:45 UTC 2004

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, jludwig wrote:
>

>>>Redhat-install-list at redhat.com
>>>To Unsubscribe Go To ABOVE URL or send a message to:
>>>redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com
>>
>>You didn't inadvertently start a H.I.D program for the hard of seeing?
>>

> Not that I know about - the characters are so large LOGIN just
> fits on the screen and PASSWORD doesn't.  I would think a H.I.D.
> program would try to fit things on the screen.
>
> Do you know of any that come with Red Hat 9 that I may have
> started?

After installing XFree86 4.4.0 on my FC1 AMD64 beastie from source, I
have a better feel for how the X system (and Gnome) starts up, Brad.

There's a couple of files that may be causing this.  They are:

	/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
	/etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default
	/etc/X11/gdm/Init/:0 (a symlink to /etc/X11/xdm/XSetup_0)
	/etc/X11/xdm/XSetup_0
	/etc/X11/Xresources

It's most likely the last one.  It should read:
------------------------------- CUT HERE ------------------------------
! This is the global resources file that is loaded when
! all users log in, as well as for the login screen

! Fix the Xft dpi to 96; this prevents tiny fonts
! or HUGE fonts depending on the screen size.
Xft.dpi: 96

! hintstyle: medium means that (for Postscript fonts) we
! position the stems for maximum constrast and consistency
! but don't force the stems to integral widths. hintnone,
! hintslight, and hintfull are the other possibilities.
Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
Xft.hinting: true

You may need to recover these from a backup or you can reinstall the
xinitrc, gdm, or gnome-session RPMs via the "rpm -Uvh --force" command.

I hope that helps.

And yes, building XFree86 from the source tarballs is, uhm, time
consuming.
-   The light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train.  -