Install problem - Redhat 3 ES & New HP DL140's

unix_admin at tessco.com unix_admin at tessco.com
Thu Apr 29 20:27:55 UTC 2004

HP support has updated firmware available that solves the problem.
The current URL (as of 4/29/2004) is :

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/101_5771.html

The system bios update and the cdrom driver update are required to solve this
problem.

I had to create a bootable USB flashdisk using a USB floppy (from a Sony Vaio)
and a Win98 recovery boot floppy.

Turn off the DL140
Insert the flashdisk in one USB port on the DL140.
Insert the bootable Win98 floppy into the floppy drive and plug it into another
USB port on the DL140.
Turn on the DL140
If prompted, select to boot DOS w/o CD-ROM support
Format the flashdisk : format b:
Put the boot files and command interpreter on the flashdisk : sys b:
Turn off the DL140
Remove the USB floppy drive
On another computer that can access the USB flashdrive and read the zip files:
Extract the update files onto the flashdrive
Put the flashdrive back into the DL140
Turn the DL140 on.
Follow the installation instructions for the updates.
In this case is was to run BIOSF.bat and CD224V99.exe